Sunday, November 08, 2009

confessions of a justified sinner

I've just got back from Edinburgh where I went to see the Lyceum Theatre Company perform a stage version of my favourite book, one of those things which just shouldn't really be possible - on the grounds of complexity of the text - but which worked incredibly well and was absolutely gripping. My only complaints would be: 1) The acting overall was a bit "shouty" and; 2) The passages which were contemporary in the book - the opening and closing narratives - were made contemporary to 2009 with a couple of pantomime-style policemen... Fortunately, the pantomime police were only in it twice for a total of about five minutes out of two and a half hours!

Never having been in the Lyceum theatre before, I was really surprised at what a beautiful place it is. Pictures tomorrow.