Sunday, September 30, 2012

Autumn Again

I have no idea where the weeks go. It is now two weeks since I last posted a blog entry and the end of September is upon us; the wind and rains, the chilling air, herald autumn without even the good grace of the last few warm days that September usually brings, Keats' "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness".

Spent last weekend in Brighton, recovering from the 'flu which always accompanies the start of term... all those viri travelling distances with students from far away, brought together in the moist warmth of the fully-packed workshop! Not particularly healthy but it happens every year, both at the start of term and then again after the winter holiday break. There wasn't much going on in Brighton over the weekend, but I did spot this particular craft highlight outside a charity shop:

Dogs And Puppies


Is it any wonder that "craft" is not taken as seriously as it should be?!

I've been invited to take part in a show to be held at the Society for Contemporary Craft in Pittsburgh next August, the title of which is "Enough: VIOLENCE" and which is going to reflect the views of a variety of artists - I am still not sure who else is taking part - towards the increasingly violent society in which we live. When I was invited to take part (in July), I immediately thought on a project which was approved by the SCC and for which I needed the support of an august institution in the UK, the NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children). This week, I learned that the NSPCC have agreed to support the project and I now have a meeting to discuss it further. All I can disclose at the moment is that it will be work made in response to children who have been involved in violence in some way. More to follow.

Other than that, I have been preparing for the "Gothic" show at SOFA, finishing the buttons for my Gothic waistcoat and working on the belt buckle to be worn with my kilt. I have no idea why I've not made a buckle for the kilt before.

Eight Waistcoat Buttons

Eight buttons for a Mad King?

Kilt Buckle - WIP - 3


Kilt Buckle - WIP - 4